Saturday, July 2, 2011

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!!

Help! Our home is infested with Cornish Pixies, again!...



...And, we're encouraging it! :)

You may remember Frankie Pixie posted about a long while back. He was mom's first attempt at Ghilie's "poppet". And, mom chose to make a pixie like those in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. He's still with us (as you can see in the pic below), though not zooming around getting into mischief as much as he used to. He's pretty tame now. Since then, we've also spotted two others that got away before I could catch them for some pics. They stowed away to Kansas to pester my sis's family and Geezer, the house elf.



Now, finally we've caught a fresh one to share with you. We're naming it "Pesky". We had to "clip" his wings to keep him from escaping. (Seriously, I just haven't been able to get the wings just right. I've tried so many techniques, but nothing working for me. I'm up for suggestions. The ones in the cage pics were the best of my experiments made with wire and white glue. Still not sure how to attach them.)



I think this pixie is a wee larger than the last few. Not sure mom used the right version of the pattern. We've gone through a few. His torso seems much smaller than the arms and legs. :) (I think the pixies have been in my pattern box.) Anyway, the original poppet is a great doll pattern. We've used altered versions of it many times to make the pixies, house elves and a few other dolls. The pixies are a much smaller version. We just shrunk the pattern down, altered the ears and nose, and added antennae. We've found the easiest antennae are made using chenille stem. You can curl it up out of the way while sewing. And, what luck! I had this lighter blue "terry cloth"-like pipe cleaner that matched the pixie in my stash for a while.

Let me just nip him back into the cage we found at the flea market. We see these cages quite frequently in our bargain hunting expeditions.This one is a bit small, but our larger wooden cage is housing Hedwig at the moment.



There, that's better. Don't want him tampering with the computer. I think this one broke our modem just the other day leaving me without internet for 4 days! The horror! I'll have one more Harry Potter themed post about magical creatures coming up soon. Again, it's not really a new project. Just an improved one (I hope).

UPDATE:  Now you can own one of our newer pixie versions or make some using our Cornish Pixie Pattern/Tutorial available in my Etsy store (mieljolie).

7 comments:

Andréann said...

awesome!

Atteneri (Halloween Town) said...

I think I NEED one of these Cornish Pixies!! Love it!

mieljolie said...

Thanks, Andréann!

Atteneri, after seeing your charming creations, I'm honored that you like our pixies! We just love your cuties. If you would like to, we'd be happy to swap one of our pixie for one of your adorable Halloween Town characters. Or, if you're up to making your own pixie, you can get the poppet pattern (that we altered to make ours) FREE from Ghilie's website. She's awesome and takes doll/stuffy making to another level. :) (If you do decide to make one, lmk. I can send you the altered pattern pieces, too.)

Mieljolie

SUSSEXMOUSE said...

I have just downloaded Ghilie's Poppet Doll pattern after seeing your Mum's wonderful creatures. Tell her they are utterly brilliant !

mieljolie said...

Thanks, SUSSEXMOUSE. She'll be please that you like them. :)

Mieljolie

M. J. Davis said...

Do you sell these pixies? I've been searching everywhere for some for my daughter's Harry Potter themed room! If you do, PLEASE email me at melissaj.davis@yahoo.com

mieljolie said...

Hi Melissa! We'd be happy to make your daughter a pixie. I'll contact you with details.

Mieljolie